Friday, March 01, 2013

Tolerance...



Tolerance = a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward those whose opinions, practices, race, religion, nationality, etc., differ from one's own; freedom from bigotry.

This is a word thrown around a lot by liberals who want people to accept their opinions, whether it be gay marriage, Muslim practices, or the ever famous and hated words, politically correct.  Anytime someone disagrees, this word is thrown out and immediately labels you as intolerant or racist.

Tolerance, in itself, is a good thing.  We are a country with many different cultures and that is what makes America so great, well, at least it did.  I consider myself a very tolerant person until it is shoved down my throat. Tolerance does not mean compromising my values and beliefs.

I am using gay marriage as an example because it is one of the most widely debated issues of today.  I think gays should have the same rights as straight people do but I do not believe in "gay marriage."  Civil Unions give those rights without trampling upon the traditional and religious beliefs of marriage being a sacred ceremony joining a man and woman.  I will go so far to say that government should do away with the word "marriage".  Change the wording to Civil Union and you have pretty much solved the whole gay marriage war debate that has been going for so long.

This is where it gets muddy.  We are Christians and we teach our kids values and morals that we believe in. We teach them that God loves everyone and we should too.  That being said, I do not believe that it is the schools place to tell my kids that is perfectly normal to live this way.  That is not their place.

The ironic part of this is that the ones screaming for tolerance, usually have none of their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment