Monday, April 15, 2013

Laura's Law + Politicians + Doctors = No Guns


I am writing about something that is extremely personal and isn't easy to talk about.  Not because I want to, but it's hard to make you understand my logic behind my views without revealing the full story.  Okay, here it goes.... (deep breath)

Over 16 years ago, I got really sick.  I was in and out of the hospital, test after test and they couldn't figure it out.  When I say test after test...I mean it.  (MRI, Cat Scan, EKG, EEG, blood test galore, they went up, they went down, ultrasounds on my stomach and heart, motility studies, safe to say just about everything.)  The biggest part of what I was feeling was racing heart, anxiety type feelings, nausea and passing out.  The passing out was the biggest concern because I have had many injuries stemming from that.  After about a year of hospitals, tests, too many meds to count on both hands and toes, and still having symptoms they gave up.  The doctor looked me in the face and said I can't help you.  Let me tell you, that is not an easy thing to hear, especially when feeling so lousy. They threw a whole lot of meds at me and sent me on my way.  When I was at the hospital they made a suggestion.  They had this place (mental hospital) on the top floor, where they could keep a "constant" eye on me and manage my medication in a very safe place.  I was 23 years young and a bit naive about how the world works.  Anyway, they talked this place up and said it would really help me.  I had nothing to lose, or so I thought.  They told me and my family, I could leave anytime, just sign myself out.  They lied.  They told me that they would monitor my health.  They lied.  They gave me anti-psychotic drugs...Thorazine was one of them.  Doctors and medical teams do not tell you that if they give you anti-psychotics and you are not crazy you soon will be.  It made me see things, feel things that I never want to experience again.  It made me extremely restless, I could not sit still. I was on overdrive. I kept telling them that I didn't feel right, something was wrong, but either they didn't believe me or simply didn't care.  Since they were so concerned about my health (said with as much sarcasm as I possibly can) they decided that I should go to a monitored room and was not allowed to get out of bed.  Telling this to someone that was loaded up on psychotics and feeling like I was about to jump out of my skin with restlessness, it was not welcome news  I wanted out.  I didn't go in there psychotic, but if I didn't get out of there, that was exactly what was going to happen.  I was then told I had to wait 72 hours.  Suffice it to say, it was the worst experience of my life and one that still haunts me to this day.  About a year ago, I was diagnosed with anautonomic disorder called Dysautonomia.  It was a relief to find an answer but as it has no cure, it's bittersweet.  I take quite a few medicines to help control my symptoms.


When I came across this headline it literally scared the heck out of me.  I have been to a lot of psychiatrists during that period (because they thought it was anxiety) and I do not have the slightest confidence in them nor their judgement.  They were drug pushing, egomaniacs and to think that they would be in control of such extreme medicines should terrifies me.  Most everyone that has this disorder has been originally diagnosed with anxiety cause it imitates the exact symptoms. So under this law, they are going to be forcing medicine down anyone's throat that looks or acts like they need it. 

This has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with power.  Don't like how someone is acting?  No biggie, throw some medicine at them and keep them doped up. The chances for misdiagnoses, personal bias, and plain old abuse are way too high!  This is only the start and it's sneaky!!  What about diabetics when they get hypoglycemic/hyperglycemic.  Their behavior can be quite erratic when their levels are off.  Migraines?  Dehydration?  Talk about a slippery slope!


Guess what?  It's already begun.....


The NY SAFE Act requires “mental health professionals, in the exercise of reasonable professional judgment, to report if an individual they are treating is likely to engage in conduct that will cause serious harm to him- or herself or others.”
If such a determination is made, “the Division of Criminal Justice Services will determine whether the person possesses a firearms license and, if so, will notify the appropriate local licensing official, who must suspend the license. The person’s firearms will then be removed.”The law has come under fire from gun-rights advocates as well as mental health professionals, who fear the new law discourages people from seeking professional help for mental health issues.


     Anxiety = No guns for you! (say it like the soup Nazi)

For more info on this story click here.......


2 comments:

  1. What a tragic and yet uplifting story, I was touched by the similarities with my own experience going to an emergency room to get help from a prescription that caused sever emotional changes. All I wanted was a different medication or for someone to tell me to stop taking that specific med but they deemed me a danger to myself and I was placed on a 72 hour hold....it was a living nightmare.

    I told my wife this morning about your story and she said if you want a gun I'll buy it for you...what a great wife. It's not about the gun persay but about my Inability to buy one due to the improper judgements of others.

    Thanks again
    By the way I love the way your blog looks and I will be following.

    Rtdezine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard, your story makes me sad because I know how difficult that must have been for you. A living nightmare.... they are the perfect words to describe what it's like. You lose the power to decide what's right for you.

    I don't think doctors understand the side effects of what they give you. Apparently my condition makes me very sensitive to medications so I have a list of like 10 meds that I can't take. I've ended up in the er with side effects too many times to count. I cannot believe they put you on a 72 hour hold! It's so easy for the doctors and if they keep going with this legislation, nobody is going to be able to own a gun, which is probably their agenda anyway.

    I was on Effexor and when I tried getting off it (tapering) made me suicidal. Call the doctor and he says" Oh yeah, sometimes that can happen." It took me almost a year to get off it because I had to take one of those itty bitty dots in a capsule out, one per week.

    That is very sweet of your wife! I've never attempted to get a gun because I have been on too much medicine with two kids in the house and I would rather be overcautious. Now that things are starting to become normal though, my hubby is looking into getting a gun. I can't imagine what a disaster this will turn into if they start putting limitations like this!!

    Thank you for your compliment on my blog and I will be over to see yours soon. I added you to my blogroll!! :)

    ReplyDelete